Community Community Organizations 

Top-to-Bottom, Bottom-Up or … Bottom-to-Bottom for change?

Gil Frank, Historic Westside Gardens neighbor “Yes we can do head counts but we have only little knowledge if people’s lives have changed. We have ‘metrics mania and impact mania’” -The head of evaluation at a major National Foundation We are familiar with the lingo of ‘top-to-bottom’, ‘from-the-ground-up’ or ’bottom-up’ as used to define how community change is produced (or is not). It is widely accepted that community change from top-to-bottom is the least effective and many players will say that they don’t believe in it. So I will not…

Read More

What’s New on the Westside Trail?

In November 2014, we broke ground on the Westside Trail and by next fall, we’ll be able to say it’s officially complete. Despite wild weather conditions, unexpected underground infrastructure, and a burst of other development projects demanding resources around the city, we’ve managed to keep the project on track. Concrete Progress With a large portion of the underground infrastructure and retaining walls complete in 2015, we readied the Westside Trail for an exciting, visible milestone in its construction – the pouring of concrete. This year, concrete has been poured on two…

Read More
Community English Avenue Local Governmet 

"Self Determination, Mayor Maynard Jackson Legacy:  The NPU Process"

I have been a resident of English Avenue, by choice, for nine (9) years. I have been African American since I was 29 years old. I have been a descendant of enslaved Africans for 78 years. I have been a political activist for 50 years: 25 as a Marxist, 25 as a Christian. I speak on behalf of the disempowered, disenfranchised, the least, the less and the lost with a priority on the African American community. I believe that former, deceased Mayor Maynard Jackson, reigned over a City of Atlanta…

Read More
Community 

Shrinking Thinking

Author:  Jesse Phillips Some people say “less is more” and other people say “less is just less.” Two major roads on the Historic Westside are about to get a facelift with aesthetic and pedestrian improvements while being narrowed down from four lanes to two. Why are they doing this, and what are the implications? I spoke to some neighbors and city employees (and did a lot of googling) to find out. First, here are the projects:   1) Martin Luther King Jr. Drive Mayor Reed has said MLK Drive should…

Read More
WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com